Dihydromyricetin (DHM) is one of the major ingredients in OPTML Hangover Prevention. It is mainly extracted from the Oriental Raisin Tree. This plant has been used in ancient medicine for millennia. DHM is a flavonoid that improves the body’s innate ability to metabolize alcohol, resulting in hangover-free mornings after a night of drinking.
What Is Dihydromyricetin?
- DHM mainly affects how alcohol is processed by the brain
- It enhances the metabolism of two enzymes: alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) and acetaldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH), ultimately aiding your body to break down alcohol
- As shown in a 2017 study, people who took DHM experienced less nausea, dizziness, headaches, and weakness in their hangover
- DHM has hepatoprotective properties, which basically mean it protects the liver and liver cells by promoting cellular repair and regeneration
Why Do We Use Dihydromyricetin?
The liver is responsible for breaking down alcohol at a constant rate - think of it as the organ’s default setting. So what happens when you ingest excess alcohol? The liver continues to metabolize the substance at its usual rate and is unable to break down anything beyond the normal amount. This means that the excess alcohol is circulating through the bloodstream, unable to leave the body.
The breakdown of alcohol demands a lot from your liver. Because the liver recognizes alcohol as a toxin, it works to break it down as its top priority. When done excessively, this can lead to tissue damage and fat deposit buildup.
We added DHM to OPTML Hangover Prevention to help the liver process alcohol faster, allowing it to get back to its normal functioning easily and quickly. This means that DHM has hepatoprotective properties.
OPTML Products That Contain Dihydromyricetin
Fun Facts About Dihydromyricetin
- A 2012 study found that adding DHM to the diet can protect the liver from alcohol-related damage.
- Another study suggests that DHM has the potential to treat alcohol withdrawal syndrome.
- DHM has been used for millennia in Chinese medicine for different purposes. It was used to treat parasites, gastrointestinal issues, elevated blood pressure, liver disease, and more.
- Pairing DHM with other ingredients such as Prickly Pear and Milk Thistle extracts allow it to enhance its hepatoprotective properties.