For thousands of years, the world has been reaping the benefits of different plants and herbs as medicine and treatment for diseases and ailments. Although these findings have been around for a while, studies to prove the claims from ancient medical texts only happened in the last century— scientists, finally able to name a few of the chemicals that make certain plants and herbs do what they do to the human body.
One of these miracle ingredients is L-Theanine, which is present in tea leaves and mushrooms that our predecessors have been taking in for the past millennia. Wanting to take advantage of this superfood, OPTML has included L-Theanine as an ingredient in a few supplements.
What is L-Theanine?
- L-Theanine is an amino acid found in tea leaves and certain kinds of mushrooms.
- L-Theanine may be linked to decreased risk for obesity, as it stimulates metabolism.
- Discovered by Japanese scientists in the late 1940’s, it’s thought to be a source of umami, the savory brothy taste we find in most Japanese and Asian dishes.
- L-Theanine, when consumed in tea, may change one’s taste perception, reducing the taste of bitterness in foods ranging from cruciferous vegetables like cabbages and broccoli, to cacao, to grapefruit.
- L-Theanine helps relax the mind by boosting levels of calming brain chemicals like serotonin and dopamine. also known as neurotransmitters, these chemicals help regulate your mood and enhance concentration and alertness.
- L-Theanine enhances Alpha Brain Waves, which are linked to a state of “wakeful relaxation. This is the state of mind experienced in meditation, creativity, and mental flow when one is daydreaming.
Why Do We Use L-Theanine?
OPTML uses L-Theanine in a wide range of products because it’s been proven and tested to work without the setbacks of most prescription anti-anxiety drugs. L-Theanine relieves stress and calms the mind without causing drowsiness or impairing motor behavior. The chemical, being present in tea and superfoods make L-Theanine an indispensable ingredient for our products. Matched with other mind-enhancing and relaxing ingredients, L-Theanine as a supplement surely delivers and gives the boost or the relaxation you need.
OPTML Products that Contain L-Theanine
Fun Facts about L-Theanine
- L-Theanine in green tea can create a savory taste also known as umami flavor. Research claims that this savory taste may reduce appetite that can help with weight loss.
- Studies suggest that L-Theanine has the potential to lower stroke risk by significantly improving nitric oxide production in the artery lining or endothelial cells which communicates information about blood flow and pressure.